Platinum has been reported to be used as an additive in different kinds of jewelry from the ancient times. But the first official records found regarding the use of platinum were in the middle of the 16th century, where it was referred to as ‘platina’ which meant little silver. But a formal listing of the positive qualities was done only in the middle of the 18th century. In less than 300 years, the rare metal platinum has jumped to the top of people’s choice as the most valuable metal for durable and attractive jewelry.
But apart from jewelry, there are several other uses to which platinum is put to. Laboratories and factories use catalytic converters, electrical contacts, magnets, pacemakers and even medication made of platinum. It is known as a rare metal with good reason. Every billion parts of the earth’s crust contains just 5 parts of platinum. Its strong resistance to corrosion makes it a very valuable metal for jewelry manufacture. Let us look at five interesting facts about platinum :
- Platinum is usually referred to as an unmeltable metal, probably because its melting point is an unbelievable 1768 °C!!
- Platinum is used in an alloy form to create the international standard for a kilogram.
- Platinum finds a use in the production of anti-cancer drugs due to its low reactivity.
- The high resistance to corrosion makes it an ideal metal to be used in the manufacture of dental implants, pacemakers and other replaceable parts which can be used inside the human body.
- The single biggest use of platinum is in the manufacture of catalytic converters, which are used inside automobiles to reduce the toxicity of automobile emissions.
Even though platinum has several industrial uses as well, its use in jewelry is one of the most popular ones, and you will get great platinum jewelry designs at good online jewelry stores like Giliarto.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Articles
Scintillating Sapphire: The Facts You Must Know!
Are you a September-born girl/guy? Well, then you should wear a sparkling sapphire. It happens to be your birthstone too. Regarded to be one of the five primary gemstones found naturally, the regal blue or petite pink hue of the sapphire is enough to take your breath away. However, being enchanted by the appearance of this gemstone is not enough.